NEXT SCHEDULED TESTS
Tuesday, March 12, 2018 at 2:30PM
Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 2:30PM
APPLICANT'S BASIC REQUIREMENTS
AGE - An applicant must be 18 years of age or older
EDUCATION – An applicant must possess a high school education. A high school graduation diploma or (GED) equivalency certificate. MUST BE PRESENTED AT TIME OF APPLICATION. Also required by the State of California are a recent Driver’s License and Social Security card.
PHYSICAL - An applicant must be physically able to perform all work of the trade.
AVAILABILITY - An applicant must be available for the program and be generally employable (must accept job when called and must attend training classes as required). Refusal of employment of training will cause immediate removal from the Active Applicants List.
FILING - An applicant may file an application, Monday - Friday between the hours of
M-F: 9:30am - 11:30am
M-F: 2:30pm - 4:00pm
at our Local Hall, located at 6718 Meany Avenue, Bakersfield, CA 93308. Our phone number is 661-589-4600.
RESULTS - You will be notified of your application results by mail or otherwise stated. No information on application results can be obtained by calling the Hall or Training School before you receive your written notification, or otherwise stated.
Procedure for applicants who must first have the Basic Requirements
- An applicant will present proof of age and completion of a high school education, before he/she will be issued an application
- An applicant, who submits the above shown requirements, will complete the apprenticeship application form at the Local Hall.
- Upon passing the Qualification Test; the applicant can be called for an oral interview by the JATC and the applicant will be placed on the Active Appicants List; in the chronological order the applications were filed. Applicants will remain on this for two (2) years only.
- All applicants on the Active Applicants List will be permitted as an applicant; to solicit his/her first job from an eligible employer. As an applicant, you will be permitted to solicit your first job only. Is is the applicant's responsibility to submit, a letter of subscription from the employer, agreeing to employ you through the Local Union Training Program, showing their job site and employment date. Upon receipt of the letter of subscription, or when selected from the Active Applicants List, the applicant may be required to take a pre-employment drug test. Upon passing the drug-screening test, the applicant will be dispatched to the job and enrolled in the Training Program, as long as there are no apprentices on the Out-Of-Work List.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to keep the Union Hall informed of your correct address and phone number. Failure to do so could result in the applicant being removed from the Active Applicants List
LOCAL UNION 460 PIPE TRADES APPRENTICESHIP TRAINING AND EDUCATIONAL COMMITTEE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION PROGRAM.
PLUMBER, PIPEFITTER, REFRIGERATION AND AIR CONDITIONING FITTER
Kern, Inyo and Mono Counties
Approximately 273 Journeymen and 110 Apprentices are employed in the area. It is estimated that there is a need for about ten (10) new apprentices each year. There are some fluctuations in employment and layoffs during the rainy season.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPRENTICE APPLICANTS
Age - Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
Education - High School Diploma or General Equivalent Development (GED) Certificate
Physical Examination - None required. Must be physically able to perform the work of the trade
Testing - Take and pass the Math Classification Test with a minimum score of 75%
Oral Interview - Yes - When there is availability in the apprenticeship program
Drug Screening - Contractor requested
CONDITIONS OF APPRENTICESHIP
Length - 40 hours per week for 5 years
Wages - Apprentice's starting wage is 45% of Journeyman rate for the first year. Increases each succeeding year, providing, satisfactory progress is maintained. The journeyman rate is $39.80 per hour, not including fringe benefits.
Applicants are placed on a waiting list in chronological order.
WHERE TO APPLY FOR APPRENTICESHIP
Applications will be available at the Plumbers & Steamfitters Local 460, 6718 Meany Avenue, Bakersfield CA 93308. The phone number is 661-589-4600. Applications will be accepted Monday thru Friday between the hours of 9:30am 11:00 am and 2:30pm - 4:00pm only.
NATURE OF WORK
Layout assemblies & installs pipes, fitting and fixtures for air, gas, water, steam and waste disposal systems. Cuts openings in walls, ceiling bathtubs, showers, water heaters and other domestic or industrial fixtures. Tests pipe systems and installations, for leaks or improper operation. Also, works from blueprints and isometric drawings. HVAC service, repair and installation.
Tools used: Pipe wrenches, cutters, dies, blowtorches, and soldering equipment. May use acetylene gas and arc welding equiment.
Works inside and outside alone and with others. Some heavy lifting, pushing and pulling. May work on ladders and scaffolds. May work in cramped positions in restricted areas. Hazards include injuries from falls or falling materials, burns from molten lead or steel, hot pipe or steam.
NO CALCULATORS, CELL PHONES OR ANY OTHER CALCULATION DEVICES ARE ALLOWED DURING THE TEST